|Tourism and sights|
Znin District’s tourist assets
Znin – Wenecja – Biskupin
We would like to invite you for a tour around Paluki region, a picturesque historical-ethnographical region situated in the south-western part of Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodship and the north-eastern part of Wielkopolskie Voivodship.
Znin is said to be the capital of Paluki region. The town is situated on the Piastowski Trail, on the E5 national road, 45 km south from Bydgoszcz and 35 km north from Gniezno. The initial stop of the historic narrow gauge railway line is located here.However, before you get on the carriage, you should first get to know Znin a little bit, a town with a rich and turbulent history dating back to the beginnings of the Polish state. The town was first mentioned in Gniezno Bulla, which wasissued on 7th July 1136 by pope Innocent II. In 1263 Znin was given a town charter by archbishop Janusz II, whereas in 1284 it was given the right to mint its own coins, which could be used in the whole country. A trade route connecting Silesia with Gdansk, the so called Amber Trade Route, ran through Znin. The town’s development was hindered many times by plagues, blazes and wars, in the wake of which
the mediaeval wooden town was destroyed. The most characteristic building of the town is the Gothic town hall tower build in the C15th in the middle of the marketplace, informally called “baszta”; it has become the symbol of the town. It is one of the few buildings in Poland which have a square foundation but turn into an octagon towards the top of the tower. Currently, the Museum of Paluki Land, with exhibitions such as “The History of the Town” and “The Outstanding Znin Dwellers”, is located there. The fact that the Sniadecki brothers, Jan (1756-1830), an astronomer, mathematician, philosopher, the professor of the Jagiellonian University and vice-chancellor (the president) of the Vilnius University, and Jedrzej (1768-1838), a physician, biologist, chemist, the pioneer of physical education in Poland, the professor of the Vilnius University, were born in Znin is also noteworthy. Other figures who hailed from Znin are Erazm Gliczner (1535-1603), a writer, educationalist, religious reformer and Klemens Janicki (1516-1543), a poet, humanist, Polish precursor of Enlightenment. The historic building of the former town hall (from the C19th) situated on the market square is the host to the second branch of the Museum of Paluki Land. One can familiarize oneself with the history of printing in Znin and the ethnography of Paluki region there. Other attractions of the former town hall building include the only Museum of Power Boating in Poland as well as the Tadeusz Małachowski’s Gallery, where numerous vernissages have been held. The most interesting architectural monuments of the town include St Martin’s church from the C14th, St Florian’s church from the C15th and Blessed Virgin Mary’s church from the C19th and Suffragan Bishop’s Office built in classical style in 1795, where the Museum of Sacred Art displaying liturgical vestments and paraments as well as sacred sculptures and paintings is located.
The biggest tourist attraction of Paluki is the 600-millimetre gauge railway along with the attractions awaiting for visitors on its route: Znin, the castle in Wenecja, world famous ancient settlement in Biskupin and the town of Gasawa with numerous monuments. Wenecja is the first stop. Wenecja, whose name is identical with the Polish name for Venice, is picturesquely located among three lakes. What is particularly interesting there are the remains of the 15th-century castle, the residence of Mikolaj Nalecz, aka Wenecja Devil, who was infamous for his cruelty. Opposite to the remains there is the Museum of the Narrow Gauge Railway, where you can find exhibits connected with old railway: historic steam engines, carriages, station gear and railway signs. The Museum, the first of this type in Poland, was established in 1972 by Paluki Lovers Association from Znin. It refers to the traditions of Znin County Railway established in 1894.
Horse ridding, trekking and bicycling lovers as well as people who are keen on sailing, windsurfing and ice Explore the historic delights of Biskupin, “the Polish Pompeii”, were the Archeological Museum together with the reconstruction of a Lusatian settlement from before 2700 years ago is located. It was discovered in August 1933 by a local teacher, Walenty Szwajcer. Some of the tourists end their stay in Paluki with the visit in Biskupin, but it is worth the while to stay here longer as Paluki, also called “the land of 130 lakes”, is among the most beautiful regions of Poland. Its landscape is full of lakes picturesquely set amongst hills and forests. Znin lies close to other attractive places of Kujawsko-Pomorskie and Wielkopolskie voivodships: Bydgoszcz, Torun, Poznan, Gniezno, Lednogora, Inowroclaw, Kruszwica, Ciechocinek and Lichen. In terms of accommodation and catering, Znin is fully prepared to cater for a big number of tourists. There are high-standard hotels, camping sites and holiday resorts picturesquely located by the lake here as well as increasingly popular agrotouristic farms. yachting will be in their element in Znin as all these forms of active rest are popular in Paluki region. Museums as well as frequent tourist, cultural and sports events attract about 300 thousand tourists to Znin and Numerous stately historic mansions have been preserved in the region. One of them is the classical mansion in Lubostron built between 1795 and 1800; one of the most beautiful buildings of this type in Poland. The mansion is surrounded by the 28-hectare park with unique greenery. Its natural values, outstanding landscapes, monuments, its neighbouring sites every year. The most important of these events is the annual archaeological festival in Biskupin, which is always held in September. Znin is famous for spectacular power boating competitions. Every July the Lake Chaple hosts the World, European and Polish Power Boating Championship. Moreover, Znin’s importance as a sailing, windsurfing and ice yachting centre increases by the year. What decides about it are excellent wind conditions on the Big Znin Lake and the total area of the lake, which is 432 hectares [or 1067 acres].
Other popular periodic events include “Autumn in Paluki” (together with Paluki art fair) held annually at the end of September in Znin, Paluki Tourism Days (at the beginning and the end of every tourist season, May and September), motoparagliding rallies, all-Poland Znin footraces and Paluki Agricultural Fair.
We also cherish our folklore. The traditional art of the region is nurtured by Paluczanki folklore band from Bialozewin and Paluki Song and Dance Band. The traditional art of the region is also visible in the output of Paluki Sculpture Workshop. The artists, together with the almost 100-year-old Moniuszko Choir, giving their shows in Poland and abroad are the unofficial ambassadors of the region. Znin is highly active as far as the European integration of Poland is concerned, which is reflected in it cooperation with its twin towns: Albertirsa (Hungary), Birstonas, Soleczniki-Jaszuny (Lithuania), Malacky (Slovakia), Mettmann (Germany), Ommen (the Netherlands) and Veseli nad Moravou (the Czech Republic). Znin’s opening to the world is symbolised by the semaphore with the names of the its twin towns written on plaques, which is installed on the market square.
Come and see what Znin and Paluki has in store for you!
Text: Znin Town Council
Photos: Andrzej Luczak
|Last Updated ( czwartek, 08 listopad 2012 )|